St Carthage’s Cathedral lies beyond tall gothic gates. This has been a place of worship since 636. Gravestone slabs from monastic times may be found inside the Cathedral. The first stone Church on this site was build about 1207 but the present church dates from 1630. The Earl of Cork had the building restored at the time but naturally the structure has been altered and extended since. The pointed windows and ribbed ceilings were inserted by Sir Richard Morrison around 1820 stained glass design by Sir Edward Byrne Jones. A superb tower and ribbed spire were added by the Pain Brothers in 1827. The remarkable table-tomb of the McGraths dating from 1486 is a worth viewing. In the graveyard around the Cathedral many old and interesting gravestones may be found.